Fat Grafting to Breasts or Fat Transfer Breast Augmentation is a surgical procedure that increases your breast size by grafting your fat into the breast tissue. Our Breast Surgeon, Dr Rebecca Wyten, is a highly experienced, certified specialised plastic surgeon who can do this surgical procedure on you in a controlled environment. Years of experience and many satisfied patients put our surgeons and their expertise at the top of their field. If you want to enlarge your breasts by fat grafting or have autologous fat transfer to the breasts, our Dr Wyten has you covered.
Fat Transfer to Breast Guide
Visit the Fat Transfer to Breast Information page.
What Is Fat Grafting to Breasts FAQs
What is Fat Grafting?
- Fat grafting is a surgical procedure of taking fat tissue from one part of the body (the donor area or the donor site) and grafting it by Lipo injections into another part of the body.
- The fat tissue donor site can be anywhere on the body: it most commonly from your abdomen, hips or thighs.
What is Fat Transfer Breast Augmentation?
- Fat Transfer breast augmentation is a surgical procedure that takes fat from one part of the body and injects it into your breasts.
- It is a great procedure if you want to slim down some body parts and use the donated fat to improve the volume and projection of your breasts.
What is Breast Lipomodelling?
- Breast Lipomodelling is a surgical procedure where your plastic surgeon takes fat from one part of your body.
- They then proceed to purify the fat and use fat injections to inject it into the breasts.
- This natural breast augmentation is a common surgical procedure.
How much can you increase breast size with fat transfer?
- You can increase the size of your breasts by one or two cup sizes using a fat grafting breast augmentation. Sometimes it takes two stages.
- If you experience breast asymmetry, you can also opt for a unilateral fat grafting breast augmentation. This is where your surgeon increase the size of one breast to make your breasts more symmetrical.
- You can combine this procedure with implants for a more pronounced size increase and a better projection of the breasts, this is called Hybrid Breast Augmentation.
Do breasts with transferred fat feel natural to touch?
- Yes, the breasts with transferred fat feel natural to the touch.
- In a fat transfer breast augmentation, your surgeon will take fat from one area of your body, purify it and then inject it back into another area of the body, in this case the breasts.
- Since there are no foreign bodies, your breasts feel very natural to the touch.
- Surgeons sometimes use Fat grafting breast augmentation as a companion surgery for breast augmentation with implants to give them a more natural look.
Can you remove implants and replace with fat?
- Yes, you can remove breast implants and replace them with fat.
- To do this, we recommend removing the implants and then proceeding with a fat grafting procedure 6 to 12 months later.
- This is in order to allow the fat transfer the best opportunity to succeed.
Are fat transfers safer than implants?
- Yes, fat transfers are safer than implants, but there are some limitations.
- In fat transfer or fat grafting, your surgeon transplants fat from one part of the body to another.
- There are fewer complications and risks connected to the surgery because you receive your fat via injection to the breast.
- Although there may not be guarantees about the total volume of fat that can be transplanted, some women say that this method is a much better solution for augmentation because there are no certain risks as there are with breast implants. There is no capsular contracture, no breast implant movement and no symmastia risks.
- Fat transfer doesn’t require maintenance like an implant.
Which is better fat transfer or implants?
- Whether fat transfer or implants are a better solution for you depends on your goals.
- Fat transfer is the procedure of choice for so many patients who would like to slim down or lipo sculpt some parts of their body while at the same time increasing the size of their breasts.
- With fat injection breast augmentation, you need to have fat to remove in the first place. Your surgeon may not know exactly how many ccs of fat can be transferred.
- With breast implants, the situation is different since you do not need to have any fat to transfer – you can be very slim.
- The surgeon will know exactly the size of the implant that they put into your breasts, therefore giving a defined increase in size.
- If you want to have very natural-looking breast implants, you may want to discuss combining these two procedures with your specialised plastic surgeon.
Am I The Right Candidate / Fat Transfer to Breast Prerequisites FAQs
Am I the right candidate for Fat Grafting Breast Augmentation?
- You may be the right candidate for a fat grafting breast augmentation if you:
- Are not a smoker or are willing to quit for six weeks before and after breast augmentation using fat transfer,
- Have some fat deposits on your body from which your surgeon can take fat from,
- Are not pregnant,
- Have realistic expectations on what a breast augmentation with fat transfer can do.
What size cup can you expect after fat grafting?
- After fat grafting to the breasts, you can expect your breasts to increase in size by one maybe two cup sizes.
- Initially, your breasts may look even bigger, but this may be due to swelling, which will slowly subside after the surgical procedure.
- You should be aware that your body will not take all the fat implanted into your breasts, as not all fat will get sufficient blood supply; this is also what contributes to the breast getting somewhat smaller weeks after a fat grafting breast augmentation.
What is the desired BMI for Fat Grafting Breast Augmentation?
- The desirable BMI for Fat grafting breast augmentation is at least 22.
- You should generally speak with your specialised plastic surgeon for a more accurate assessment since BMI alone cannot predict whether you have enough fat or not, especially if you are a very athletic person.
- In these cases, your surgeon will consider your body fat percentage (excluding your visceral fats) for fat transfer breast augmentation.
Do I have enough fat for Fat Transfer to the Breast?
- Whether you have enough fat for a fat transfer to the breasts depends on your overall state, body fat content and how much fat you want to place in your breasts.
- You may want to schedule an appointment with your specialised plastic surgeon and get a precise estimation of whether you have enough fat in your body or not.
Can I have Fat Transfer Breast augmentation if I breastfed before?
- Yes, you can have a fat transfer breast augmentation if you’ve breastfed before.
- Breastfeeding does not interfere with your ability to receive a fat graft. However, in some cases, breastfeeding can cause breast ptosis.
- If you suffer from severe breast ptosis, your specialised plastic surgeon may suggest having breast lift surgery first.
- In some circumstances fat transfer to the breast and a breast life procedure can be combined.
Can I have Fat Transfer breast augmentation if I am a smoker?
- No, you cannot have a fat transfer breast augmentation if you are a smoker.
- Smoking compromises the surgery results, increases the chances for risks and complications and prolongs the recovery time.
- You should quit smoking at least six weeks before fat grafting breast augmentation.
- Furthermore you should not smoke for at least six weeks after the breast augmentation.
- This ensures a quick and safe recovery and reduces chances for breast augmentation complications and undesirable results.
Can I have Fat Transfer breast augmentation if I have implants?
- Yes, you can have a fat transfer breast augmentation if you have implants.
- Sometimes surgeons will combine these procedures to give patients even fuller breasts that look very natural. This procedure is a Hybrid Breast Augmentation.
- In general, if your body can support the additional weight and you’re healthy with no history of breast augmentation complications, you may receive fat grafting to improve your breast augmentation with implants results.
Fat Grafting to Breasts Preparation FAQs
Can I drive myself to Fat grafting breast augmentation?
- No. We do not recommend you drive yourself to your procedure.
- You will need to have someone pick you up and take you home.
- In fact, it is a good idea to have someone stay with you for the first next 48-72 hours while the effects of general anaesthetic wear off.
What do I need to wear for a fat transfer Breast augmentation?
- You should wear loose-fitting, comfortable clothes to your fat transfer breast augmentation.
- You will have to change both before and after the procedure, so you should wear clothes that are easy to take off and put back on.
What do I need to buy for fat transfer breast augmentation?
- You should ensure that you run all your errands early to have a stocked up pantry and fridge and any medication you may be regularly taking.
- Furthermore, you should buy any gauze, cold packs and ice packs, as well as antibacterial soap, wound dressing and wound and scar treatment creams and gels your surgeon may suggest.
- At Coco Ruby, most of these items are provided for you.
What is the breast augmentation checklist?
- A breast augmentation checklist or a fat transfer breast augmentation checklist is an extensive but very easy and intuitive list:
- Several weeks before the surgery, start eating a healthy diet full of fruits and vegetables.
- Stop smoking, if you are a smoker, at least 6 weeks before surgery.
- Arrange a ride both to and from the surgery centre,
- Run all your errands,
- Purchase all the aftercare supplies you may need, complete pre – surgery testing.
- The night before the surgery: take a shower and wash your hair with antibacterial soap and avoid any food or drinks, including small sips of water,
- In the morning, make the bed with fresh sheets and show up for your surgery at a prearranged time,
- Do not wear any jewellery, piercings, etc.,
- Wear loose and comfortable clothes.
What do I need to prepare for after the breast augmentation procedure?
- You will need to prepare several things for after the fat transfer breast augmentation procedure:
- Run all your errands,
- Make sure that somebody will take care of your children or pets while you are recovering from fat transfer breast augmentation,
- Make sure there is somebody to help you out in the first few days,
- Ensure you have all the supplies you need for the aftercare.
- This includes any prescriptions your specialised plastic surgeon has given you, pain medication, gauzes and cold packs.
- Arrange someone to take you to your 1st post – operation appointment.
Fat Transfer to Breast Procedure FAQs
Can you move fat from your stomach to your breast?
- Yes, you can move fat from your stomach to your breasts.
- During this procedure, the fat is taken from your stomach, making it smaller and giving it better contours. The fat is purified and is then injected into your breasts by Lipoinjections.
- This is a very common procedure with high satisfaction rates.
Can you move fat from your thighs to your breast?
- Yes, you can move fat from your thighs to your breasts. This procedure sculpts your thighs and enlarges your breasts at the same time. The fat is processed using centrifugal forces, which clean the fat before injecting it into your breasts.
Can you move fat from your calves to your breast?
- We do not recommend moving fat from your calves to your breasts.
- Liposuctioning the fat around your calves or ankles can be quite dangerous.
Can you combine fat grafting breast augmentation with liposuction?
- Yes, you can combine fat grafting breast augmentation with liposuction.
- This approach to breast augmentation is a good approach, and many surgeons like it since they have more fat available at the end of liposuction to transfer to your breasts.
- The benefits for you are that you can have two surgical procedures done on you simultaneously.
How much fat can be grafted to the breasts?
- Your surgeon will transfer as much fat as is possible to your breasts to achieve your desired results.
- Lipo injection breast augmentation has some limitations, including the amount of fat tissue that can be transferred while maintaining blood supply.
- Going over this maximum may only increase the chances of complications, as not all fat tissue will get enough blood supply to survive.
How long does fat transfer take?
- In general, a fat transfer procedure will take anywhere between two and four hours depending on the amount of work required.
- The length of the procedure can be estimated by your specialised plastic surgeon, who will make an educated estimation based on your current breast size and the desired breast size.
- You should understand that this is a complex procedure that may take a longer time to perform since the fat tissue has to be extracted, purified and then implanted.
Is fat transfer to the breast a safe procedure?
- Yes, fat transfer to the breasts is a safe procedure if done by an experienced specialised plastic surgeon in a good surgical theatre.
- Like any other procedure, fat grafting breast augmentation has some associated risks and complications. However, choosing a good surgeon can minimise these risks and yield fat better results than a surgeon in a backroom clinic could.
Is fat transfer to the breast a major surgical procedure?
- Any surgery performed under a general anaesthetic is a major surgical procedure.
- It still involves certain risks and complications, just like any other surgery.
- Make sure you fully understand fat injection breast augmentation risks and complications before speaking to your surgeon.
What is Autologous Fat Grafting (AFG)?
- Autologous Fat Grafting or (AFG) is a cosmetic surgical procedure that takes fat from a donor site on your body and transfers it to another part of the body.
- The procedure is commonly done to recontour the face, enlarge your behind, and enlarge the breasts.
- The surgical procedures of fat transfer facelift, Brazilian Butt Lift and Fat grafting breast augmentation are commonplace.
Is breast Enlargement with Fat common?
- Yes, breast enlargement with fat is a common procedure.
- This procedure can be used as a standalone procedure when it increases the size of your breasts by one to two breast cup sizes.
- It can also be coupled with breast implants to improve your breasts’ volume or give more natural-looking results.
Is Breast Enlargement with Fat natural?
- Yes, breast enlargement with fat gives a very natural-looking breast augmentation result.
- It takes your fat from a donor site and grafts it to another part of the body.
- This breast augmentation approach reduces some risks and complications which may appear when a foreign body is inserted into your breasts. Furthermore, the scars are much smaller with a lipo injection breast augmentation, which results in a shorter healing time and a faster recovery.
Is Fat Grafting to breasts safer than implants?
- Fat grafting to breasts is safer than implants in many instances.
- Fat transfer to the breasts is an autologous procedure, which means that you are injected with your fat, rather than using an implant.
- This reduces complications and risks connected to the surgery and yields very natural-looking results.
- Furthermore, a smaller incision results in a shorter recovery time, less discomfort and pain for you.
- This is a very safe procedure, but there are some risks and complications which may appear as with any other surgical procedure.
Fat Grafting to Breasts Recovery FAQs
How long does fat grafting take to heal?
- Fat grafting, in general, takes one to two weeks for the initial healing.
- You will develop some bruising and swelling during this period, which will slowly subside during the initial 10-14 days post-op.
- The remaining bruising and swelling will be gone by the six-week mark, and you will be able to see final results approximately 6-9 months after the procedure.
How should I sleep after fat transfer to breast?
- After fat transfer breast augmentation, you should sleep in a reclined position and on your back.
- Sleeping at a 30-degree angle will ensure that the body slowly reabsorbs all the liquid accumulation due to swelling.
- This position will also promote faster healing.
- You should wear your compression garment 24/7 in the initial three to six weeks post-op as guided by your plastic surgeon, even while you’re sleeping.
When can I sleep on my side after breast fat transfer?
- You should be able to sleep again on your side around 4-6 weeks after a fat grafting breast augmentation.
- In some cases, such as when there are post-op complications, your specialised plastic surgeon will suggest sleeping on your back for a while longer.
- Always follow your surgeon’s advice and use common sense: if a sleeping position causes you discomfort, you should not sleep in that position.
- You will find it more comfortable to sleep on your side as the bruising subsides.
Should I wear a bra after fat transfer to the breast?
- Yes, you should wear a supportive bra with no underwire after a fat transfer to the breasts.
- Your specialised plastic surgeon will provide you with a compression garment that you should wear 24/7 in the initial few weeks following the fat grafting breast augmentation.
- This compression garment will provide your breasts with enough support so that they can heal faster and retain the desired shape.
Can I sleep on my side after fat transfer to breast?
- No, you cannot sleep on your side after fat transfer breast augmentation.
- Sleeping on your side can cause discomfort and pain, affect the wounds while they are healing, and compromise the final results.
- Your specialised plastic surgeon will be able to estimate when you will be able to sleep on your side again after a fat transfer breast augmentation.
Fat Transfer to Breast Longer-Term Results FAQs
Does fat transfer breast augmentation leave scars?
- Yes, fat transfer breast augmentation leaves small, barely visible scars.
- In lipo injection breast augmentation, the fat is implanted into the breast through very small incisions.
- These incisions heal fast, leave and leave a very small scar that will fade over several months.
How to minimise scarring after fat transfer breast augmentation?
- After a fat injection breast augmentation, you will be left with very small scars at the place where the surgeon took the fat from and the breasts, where the fat was implanted into the breast.
- You should care for these scars, just like any other scars. Keep them moist and apply generous amounts of a silicone-based cream.
- You should also apply SPF to the spots whenever you go out.
- Avoiding strenuous activities and maintaining a healthy eating regime will ensure a quick recovery and minimise the chances of hypertrophic scars (wide scars) and keloid formation.
How to keep the shape of breasts after fat transfer breast augmentation?
- To keep shape after a fat transfer breast augmentation, you should wear your compression garment for six weeks.
- This may be even longer if your experienced plastic surgeon suggests so.
- You should also avoid weight fluctuations, especially weight loss since weight reduction will reduce the volume of your breasts as the fat tissue shrinks.
Fat Transfer to Breast Risks And Complications FAQs
What are common risks with fat grafting breast augmentation?
- There are some common risks associated with fat grafting breast augmentation including:
- Excessive bleeding and hematoma formation,
- Fluid build-up or seratoma formation,
- Fat tissue necrosis,
- Breast asymmetry,
- Ensure you fully understand the risks and complications associated with fat grafting breast augmentation before opting for surgery.
- Understand that by preparing properly for the surgical procedure and taking good care of your body post-op, you will minimise the chances of common fat transfer breast augmentation complications.
Will I get cysts from fat transfer breast augmentation?
Will I get an infection during the fat grafting breast augmentation procedure?
- Your surgeon will take all necessary measures to counteract any possibilities of infection both during and after the procedure. However, to minimise infection risks, follow your surgeon’s advice on aftercare.
- You should also ensure that only specialised plastic surgeons who are board-certified operate on you.
- Any plastic surgery or cosmetic surgery you opt for is done in a proper surgical theatre to reduce any chances of infection.
What is fat necrosis?
- Fat necrosis is the death of the fat tissue.
- In some instances, such as when an inexperienced surgeon or any doctor who has not been certified as a specialised plastic surgeon does fat transfer, they may transfer too much fat that the body cannot supply with enough blood to keep it alive.
- Also, it is possible that the surgeon cannot clean the fat properly. In this case, an infection could compromise the fat that was transferred.
How common is fat necrosis in fat transfer?
- Fat necrosis after a fat transfer breast augmentation is not very common. However, depending on the amount of fat transferred and how well patients care for themselves after a breast augmentation, it may go as high as 10%.
- If this is the case and you experience low-level fat necrosis (which is most often the case), your breasts will get a little smaller by the volume of the fat tissue that the fat necrosis has impacted.
Can I lose my feeling from fat transfer breast augmentation?
- You will not lose your feeling from fat transfer breast augmentation.
- Immediately after the procedure and in the upcoming several weeks, you will temporarily lose your feeling or breast sensitivity.
- This feeling will return over several weeks or even months.
Fat Grafting to Breasts Financing FAQs
Does insurance cover fat grafting for breast reconstruction?
- Your insurance may cover a part of the full cost of fat grafting breast augmentation if it is done to reduce very prominent breast asymmetry, which endangers your social or intimate life.
- However, when the breast augmentation with fat transfer is done as a cosmetic procedure, you will not receive any coverage.
Does Medicare cover fat transfer breast augmentation?
- Medicare may cover some costs of fat transfer breast augmentation if it is deemed a medical necessity.
- Your specialised plastic surgeon will be able to provide you with more details on the procedure and the nature of your needs for surgery.
- In cases such as breast restoration after a complete mastectomy or breast asymmetry correction, fat grafting may be partially covered by Medicare.
How do people afford breast augmentation?
- There are several options that can help you afford your breast augmentation.
- You may start a special-purpose savings account, apply for funding or a loan with your bank or take out a new credit card.
Can I finance breast enlargement?
- Yes, you can finance fat grafting breast enlargement.
- There are special funding options for surgical procedures, interest-free or low-interest credit cards and other options, such as loans.
- Check with your local bank what options they offer and what option would be best applicable to you.
Last updated: 02/06/2022